Monday, June 9, 2008

Taking 2 kids to the beach is no day at the beach

The crying, the whining, the pouting... I can deal with my wife when I'm trying to deal with my two favorite buggers (my boys) on the sandy shores of Malibu.

Travel Tip for all you dads: When going to the beach with a toddler, make sure you have a lot of juice, a lot of toys, and a lot of patience.

My oldest, we'll call him K1, can be a moody little bugger. Sometimes he's fun and other times, well, you just wanna give him away... Forget the black market, just hand him over... No exchange necessary... But he's yours... No backsies.

So yesterday, after two hours of whining while on Topanga Canyon Beach, he FINALLY fell asleep. THANK FREAKIN' GOD!

With him sleeping, my wife decided to take a walk.


My little guy finally asleep.

"No problemo," I said. Though, probably not in Espanol.

Anyway, it's me and the two kids. K1 is zonked out. K2 (the baby) starts crying. I have to think fast... And I do.

I pick him up, cover his head and walk 10 yards or so from the sleeping monster.

At that very moment (I kid you not) a GUST of wind comes from no where, lifting both my brand new beach umbrellas from the ground and taking them on a Mary Poppins-esque journey down the shoreline.

It's fight or flight time. Do stay with K1 and I let them go, thus losing the $40 I just spent on them OR do I, baby in tow, dart down the beach after them?

That's right I chose the latter. Sleeping monster would never know and mom wouldn't know either as, let's face it, who's gonna tell her? Not me.

Problem is, she caught me walking back to our "base camp" with the baby under one arm and two umbrellas over my shoulder...

To say she was upset that I'd leave a 2 year-old sleeping alone on the beach is an understatement... As of this typing, she's still mad at me.

Trust me on this, taking two kids to the beach is no day at the beach.

And who do you think dug this nifty hole? That's right, Hollywood Dad... I'm a giver and doer.

1 comment:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Wives can be so unreasonable sometimes....

And I beat you to that punch line!

Nice to meet you - saw you mentioned at Suzy's place.