Sunday, June 15, 2008

"It's broken" may be the greatest lie you can tell a toddler

My son wants to play with the garden hose, but I don't want him to get wet as we're getting ready for dinner. "It's broken," I tell him.

He wants me to push him around the block in his red car, but the Laker's game is on... "Your car's broken," I insist - Adding, "We'll get it fixed tomorrow," for good measure.

Then he walks off, muttering "Fix it tomorrow" and I can get back to yelling at Kobe Bryant and his backup singers, err, players.

No matter what your kid wants to do, if you don't want him/her to do it, just figure out a way for that thing to be broken. Doesn't matter if it's an intangible concept - Two year-olds don't know that "Outside" can't be broken. As long as you sell it with a sense of conviction and, this is important, SYMPATHY, they'll take it at face value and move on.

I'm not sure how much longer this lie is gonna work, but I do know Son #2 will start falling for it in just a few short months and I can't wait.

"It's broken" may be the greatest lie you can tell a toddler - And I don't feel guilty for a second.

This knowledge is my gift to you.... Happy Father's Day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's broken" often works for big kids (adults) too.

Found you from Suzy's site and glad I followed the link.

Michelle James said...

I'm not sure it'll work on my wife though... She's seen me use it too many times. Thanks for finding me.

~TJ

MommyHeadache said...

It works for a while until they see you using the broken object the next day.

Michelle James said...

emmak,If they see you using a previously "broken" object, all you have to do is say you fixed it... Then it can break all over again at a later date and time.

Zobovor said...

Eventually, of course, your kids will pull a Harry Chapin on you.

"Hey, son, want to come over and visit me for a while?"

"Sorry, Dad, I can't. My car's broken. It'll probably be in the shop for the next, uh, year or so."