Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"And where did they find that little boy's head?"

A while back, I was grocery shopping at Ralph's. Nothing special, minding my own business.



As I turned into the aisle with chips and soda I saw a small boy of no more than 5 jumping excitedly and then, all of a sudden, he bolted to the end of the row towards the perimeter dairy refrigerators in back.



Immediately I heard the boy's Latino mom yelling at Miguel to, "Get Back Here! Miguel... Get Back Here, PRONTO!" 



Sheepishly the boy returned, and you'd think that most sane parents would end it there.... But this woman was clearly nuts so scolding did not cease.



"What did I tell you happened to that little boy who ran from his mother at the grocery store last week," she asked in a very abbreviated cadence and raised voice.



The little boy looked down, tail between his legs, and replied, "The crazy man took him."



Wow, talk about setting the kid up for nightmares, but this comedy of horrors didn't end there.

Mommy dearest continued on, "And where did they find that little boy's head?"



The boy began to quiver... And you could hear his nerves take over as he answered ever so feintly, "In the river."



THE BEAUTIFUL LA RIVER IN ALL HER GLORY

Sensing that she'd won, mommy went for one final blow, "Do want me and daddy to find your head in the river? Is that what you want for some crazy man to steal you and chop off your head and throw it in the river? Is that what you want? (Beat) Is it! (Beat) Well, is it!!!"



Tears began to well up in the boys face as he simultaneously sniffled and murmered, "No". 



Even now, many weeks later, I can't help thinking about Miguel and how horrible that example was.

Then again it also show me you can get kids to do anything if you put a little scare into them...

"Oh, you don't want to do your homework... You know orphanages for kids who don't want to do their homework... so hit the books kiddo."



2 comments:

Suzy said...

I thought you were going to say he would go an orphanage and get his head cut off.

Michelle James said...

Suzy, I'm all about scaring my kids to accomplish stuff, but I draw the line and threatening a combination abandonment/beheading